Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Its alive!

Looks like I'm back to normal. I've been sitting idle for almost two weeks while my foot healed. This past weekend I got to test myself, and the test was good. I was not daring enough to hit the off-road trails, but I did do approx. 9 miles of paved trail at Island Lakes, my home away from home.

Actually, it was very funny. I turned the wrong way out of the Trail Head, and ended up at the end of the paved trail, about 3/4 miles away from the starting point. That meant that I had to make up the 3/4 mile and catch up to Joe and Chris. I didn't think I was going to be able to do so, but I did. At approximately the 1/4 point, just beyond the tunnel, I was able to catch up to the both of them. I was full of energy and although tempted a little bit to slow the pace and stay with the group, I decided to pass them and just give it all I had.

One thing was different. This time I took my iPod Nano with me and was able to listen to music while biking. IMHO, its night and day. The music makes me forget that I'm working out, it makes it more like I'm just casually hanging out. Not to mention that when a hard song comes on such as, well anything by Static X, it gives you to motivation to just go out there and fuck something up. I channeled that energy into the drive system of my bike, which made me go farther and faster. I would recommend the two Static X albums, Wisconsin Death Trip and Start a War. Both are filled with bottled rage that will give you the go power you need.

I don't know if it was me or the music, but on my way back, there was some jackass heading right for me. He was on the left hand side of the trail, my right. He and his buddy decided that they would take up the whole trail width, but I didn't give in and played a little game of chicken with him. This kid wasn't small, but I'm very much used to crashing and falling off and getting hurt. He wasn't going to stand a chance. Not to mention that I was in the right. At the last minute, I could hear his grunt "oh shit..." as he swerved out of the way and onto the grass. My guess is that from no on he'll pay more attention and merge over when there is another person coming from the opposite direction or stay on the right side as he should have from the beginning.

This was a fun ride. I have realized that I love to go biking and that I'm going to be depressed when the weather changes and I won't be able to ride around the streets of Southfield and the trails of such places as Island Lakes. The fall is pretty much upon us, and already its raining. I know that its possible to ride during bad weather, but last season when I did that, I got sick the next day, so I won't be trying anything that crazy this year.

In other news, the Tour de Cure people emailed me with good news. Looks like that all of those people involved in this year's fundraiser were not only able to meet, but also exceed the goal.

"The 2006 Southeast Michigan Tour de Cure raised a record $297,000 exceeding our goal of $285,000. We want to thank all who came out and showed their support of the ADA. You have helped increase awareness and raised funds to support our mission, to prevent and cure diabetes
and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes."



As a result all of the people involved in this years event are invited to Carrabba's Italian Grill in Novi Mi. I've emailed all of my teammates and it looks like that Matt and I are the only two going. I will ask Nicki and Ana personally, perhaps they ignored the email. Should be a fun time, there are supposed to be door prizes and games.

As much fun as it was being a couch potato for almost two weeks, I'm am very glad that I am able to get back on the bike. I am looking forward to many more weeks of rides before I call an end to the season this year.

"If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down." - Mary Pickford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home