Thursday, July 06, 2006

Aftermath.

So here we are. Its been almost a month since the ADA Tour de Cure. For the most part, we're still doing our part to get out to Island Lakes every Saturday, and I'm still trying to recruit. We've added another dimention to our summer sport fest, canoeing and kayaking.

Two weeks ago was the first time I tried to canoe along with Brain (unofficial new member) and Chris (Overwatch). Since I was such a newbie at it, I kept falling in and basically made a fool of myself for about three hours. I also didn't think I'd need aqua shoes, so my feet were diced up beyond recognition by the jagged rocks, sticks and dead muscle shells. Those damned muscle shells were as sharp as razors. I was able to complete the trip, but in the end I was exhausted to the point of total collapse. I lay there on the grass gasping for air, muscles cramping up, sun scorching exposed flesh.

Before all of that happened (this is one of those Tarantino flash backs) it all started when Chris and I couldn't get into the same canoe. He could alone, I could alone, but as soon as we tried to get in together, the canoe would flip, sending us both to the shallow bottom of the river. At the time we didn't know that there were muscle shells on the bottom so we were messing around and laughing, but it all ended when Chris got a real deep cut on his hand, which would have probably bled him out if he went on the trip. So, he did the right thing and went back to the shore to (over)watch our gear and bikes.

Brain and I did the 3 hour river run, in 5 hours, because of my crashing. And the river banks also teased us. Every time I saw people on the shore I thought for sure that that was the end and we could finally get out of the canoes, but no Sir, not by a long shot, as one of the locals told us. When we finally got to the end Brian described me as the Pope kissing the tarmac right after landing.

So, the outlook is this. Every Saturday we bike. David (one of the regular members) is upping the ante. He wants us to go an off-road trail and the paved trail in one sitting. I'm ok with it, we'll have to see how the rest of the group feels about it. I know that Chris will be working on just getting closer to completing the entire paved trail loop, which he's making excellent progress on. I think he's up to something like 6 miles these days. One of these days we won't be counting miles, we'll be counting loops. Just like in the day Chris and I used to count blocks, now we count miles.

This weekend is another regular biking Saturday. Next weekend we're going up to Grayling, MI to do some kayaking. I think the run is three miles, so I should be all set. I've never done a kayak before, so it should be interesting. I understand that there is a backup canoe, so if for some reason the kayak doesn't work out, I'll ask if I can take the canoe out instead.

The weekend after that Grayling trip we're back at Island Lakes and we're doing 2 miles paved, 4 miles water and 2 more miles paved. Those who are up for it will be trying to throw the yellow offroad trail on top of it all for a total exhaustion experience. In the words of the Walgreens' Vulcan "...Should be good..."

One last note. I know that I said that there would be photos from the Tour de Cure, but the photo guy hasn't emailed me yet. I'm not sure what's going on, but I will contact Meagan Lewis and see if she can assist in this matter. It would be a shame to loose such a great memento and let the event go undocumented. I know that its probably on the ADA website or on some news channel, but still, I would have like to have the photo not only for myself, but also for my team mates Nicki, Matt and Ana.

*** Photo Update - I found the team photo on Flickr.com and I'm trying to get the actual print from the photographer, skysinger. Here is a link to the photo.

"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home