Thursday, June 01, 2006

Time Running out...

This week the BBC used the Brighton trail system to train. Instead of dealing with Island Lake Recreation Area we decided to hit the free trails. I think the name of the trail is Huron Valley Trail. Anyways, we did a good job and did six miles on it. We would have been able to do more, but we got around to doing this at Noon, on what I would have to call the hottest day of the spring so far. The sun gave us such a beating that when we quit we were pretty much dead for a couple of hours. I look like a lobster now, red sun burn all over.

I've had great luck with donations this week. I'd like to thank Josue Villegas, Maricela Hernandez, Patti Farero, Rodrick Leon, Bob Sochacki, Greg Doreza, Patti MacDonald and Wanda Appleman for their generous contributions towards the ADA. Also a special thanks to my brother Hubert aka [DTCT]Phatslugga who handled approx. $50 dollars in distributing of promotional wrist bands that feature the ADA logo and slogan. Although things appear good on the surface, I'm still in the hole a little bit money wise. Although this is all going towards a good cause their methods are a little questionable. I feel like I owe an explanation... Here goes.

When I signed up for this event I registered via the web page and everything was going dandy. I saw that there was a minimum that we set for our personal goals and at the time I didn't think much of it. I assumed that if you don't reach it, you don't reach it and no biggie. So, with this in mind I go to recruit some teammates. I was able to recruit my good friend Overwatch from Memepunks.com, Ana Rodrigez, a friend from work (Minacs) and Nicole Petrillo, a good friend of mine. I told all of these people that it would be a great way to set a goal and get on the bike so we could ride and enjoy the outside. I told them that its no biggie, the only associated cost was the $20 dollar registration fee, which I thought was a fair charge for processing of all the info and handling the event.

A few weeks go by and I get my packet for the Tour de Cure. I start reading through my cyclist guide 2006 and there is this one section that claims that we are responsible for the minimum if we don't or can't raise it. So, first thing I do is bust out an email to Megan Lewis, who is the Associate Manager. She confirms it, and I'm in shock. At first I thought I just overlooked something due to the excitement and my inexperience in this sort of thing. Well, first person I talk to is Overwatch, who goes line by line and double checks the website - sure enough, nowhere do they say that we would be responsible for the difference. In fact, the verbiage almost suggests that the only thing you would be missing out on is the "free" t-shit. So now I have a problem. I promised all of these folks that its only $20 and we're all gonna have fun. So, since I gave my word, I'm guessing that I'm going to owe like $500 for this whole thing... but Nicki basically kicked all of our asses and I think she achieved her $125 goal withing the first week. Chris decided that he would drop out, eventhough I said I would cover him. He said that he doesn't want to be associated with an organization which has questionable practices. Normaly I would agree with him, but in this case although they're going about this the wrong way, its still going to the needy in the end, so I tried to convince Chris to stay, but I couldn't. Nicki had nothing to worry about, and Ana doesn't even know yet. At this point I'm raising money to cover Ana, and whatever I can't raise I will donate out of pocket. My goal has also been reached. I was able to raise approx. $140. So I am in the clear now too :)

Ok, last week's drama has been solved by more drama. My old bike, the Schwin knock off, Micargi Super M90... as seen here:


Is no longer working. The rear wheel wobbles and the gear cassette is spinning in both directions at will. I think one of the middle gears is bent as well. I've had this bike for two years and it cost me $90 on ebay. Over the two years I've replaced the crank arms in the front two times at $25 per time. Other minor things like flat time and a gel seat probably cost me another $20. All in all, this bike was good, but since its a cheap Chinese knock off it couldn't handle the offraod trails. I am officially demoting this bike to parts or a possible fixer-upper if I happen to find new parts.

The new bike made by Giant, model Warp. Can be seen here:


This bike cost me more than my house payment, but so far it feels great. One of the best things about this bike is that it features front and rear hydraulic disc breaks. I can stop whenever I want. Unlike the Super M90, which had clamp style break, this thing will keep me from crashing all the time. Anyways, thats the plan. I've been accused of "one-upping", and maybe to a certain degree its true, but I need a good bike now that I'm taking this stuff seriously.

This week and weekend we have to push hard one last time and get ready for the event. There is a possibility that we're going to get a 4th rider. Once that happens I'll have an updated roster of the BBC. Good times and happy trails to yall.

"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." - Albert Schweitzer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home