Thursday, June 08, 2006

Days away...

Ok so here I am blogging at 11:46 pm in the middle of a work week. The event is this Sunday and I think I'm ready. I've been biking the 4 mile brentwood loop for a while now and tonight I clocked my absolute best time ever. 19:27:40. I know that to some of the pros out there this is something to laugh at, but trust me, for a big guy like me it takes a lot to get a bike moving fast.

This whole past week has been a combination of everything except training. I did the 4 mile loop but there was no official or unofficial meeting of the BBC at any trails system over the past weekend. I thought that I could fit it in, but there was no way that was going to happen. I went to bed Friday night only to wake up with a cold and sore throat Saturday morning at 4 am. This sort of set the tone of the weekend. Saturday clan [DTCT] was supposed to go to a lan party hosted by clan [CARE]. Well, I went sick, and I did ok, but for the most part it wasn't the same. All of the matches that mattered (the ones for money) I ended up getting my ass kicked and my team kept loosing. We managed to win one match, but was only +1 dollar.

The original plan was that I would leave the lan party earlier than normal, get some much needed Zzzzs and go to Brighton to trail. Wrong! LOL. Didn't even happen, not by a long shot. I ended up forgetting that it was my mom's birthday, not to mention that I woke up late. So, I had to scramble to get a gift for her and then make it over to my old house for an early dinner and cake. So, the weekend was absolutely counter productive, but it was a much deserved reset from biking, even though it sucked.

In other news. BBC is officially out of the hole. All of the people on my team, including late started, Matt Shelton, have met the $125 minimum and will be representing at Island Lakes Recreation this weekend. I gotta say that even though I though I was going to be in the hole because of all of the drama, things ended on a positive note. Ana has been collecting money all of this time while I was sweating bullets about approaching her about the money. Instead, if you recall, I was going to secretly earn and collect money so that I could pay her way in, since I gave her my word that all it would only be $20. Anyways, she came up with $125 on her own, so the $100 I made on the wrist bands was no longer needed as leverage towards anyone coming up short. I ended up depositing $80 of it towards my donations, which put me at just over the $200 dollar mark. The reason why I only put in $80 of the $100 is because it cost me $20 to buy the damned things from the ADA.

I was also able to pre-register by meeting up with Meagan Lewis, the coordinator of this event (at keast for the division I'm in, if not all of MI). I was able to submit my money and get my number. I will be sporting the # 31 on the day of.

I was hoping to tie a camcorders to the handlebars of my bike, but I ended up selling my old camcorder a long time ago and I couldn't find anyone willing to let me use theirs, probably because there is a good chance that it'll come back damaged. I've been telling everyone about the amount of times I've been crashing.

Sadly no sponsors came through for us this year, except for all of the generous people I've been mentioning in my blog. I've contacted my own company about being represented by BBC at the event, but I got the run around and when I finally emailed the decision man, he ended up ignoring my email. I'm not one to push this sort of this, but I figured he'd be up for giving us some free Minacs shirts which we would have ironed on some numbers and our names onto. I also tried to contact two sports drink companies. One of them has a specific section on their website which in very kinds words tells you to go away and don't bother emailing them. I won't say which company, but their name begins with the letter "G". I also contacted the other sports drink company, from whom I actually received an email back. I was told to call my local drink bottler, and they gave me the #. I left a VM for whoever scans those messages, no call back. It didn't go beyond that. I guess I could have done more, but this is BBC's first year. I've learned a lot and I know what to expect for next year. I may not captain the team next year, but I told my late comer Matt that if he decided to captain next year I would return the favor and join his team.

I'll probably blog some after the day of the event, and if I'm lucky I'll have some pictures to share as well. I have to try to get a hold of a digi-camera. Shouldn't be too difficult, I suppose I could always buy one :P

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home